In this post, we are going to understand how to configure SSL certificate on linux server with Nginx WebServer and also we are going to see how to generate CSR and Key? and how to use this CSR to download SSL certificate from Godaddy?
If your not aware of how to buy ssl certificate follow below link.
Generate CSR Certificate on Server :
Step 1 : First login to your server and make sure ssl commands are already installed on your server if not please install Openssl command on your server which help to generate CSR.
Let’s understand first what is csr in short?
- CSR Or Certificate Signing Request is a block of encrypted text which is generated on server. It will contains information such as Organization name, common name, locality etc.
Go to your server terminal and hit the below commands to generates CSR and Key. Before this make sure you have directory where we store all ssl certificates.
First we create Key which is then used to generate CSR Certificate.
When generating CSR, we need to feel up the information which is very important otherwise godaddy csr verification process will be rejecting your ssl if information is wrong.
Below is the information needed to generate CSR :
- Country Name (2 letter code) [AU]:
- State or Province Name (full name) [Some-State]:
- Locality Name (eg, city) 
- Organization Name (eg, company) [Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]:
- Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) :
- Common Name (e.g. server FQDN or YOUR name) :
- Email Address :
Note : In Common Name section give your website name for which you want ssl certificate.
Step 2 : Now we check MD5 No. of CSR and Key. This MD5 no. must be matching if no. is not match then you need to generate csr and key again with proper info.
Command to check MD5 No.
TO CHECK KEY : openssl rsa -noout -modulus -in www.website.com.key | openssl md5
TO CHECK CSR : openssl req -noout -modulus -in www.website.com.csr | openssl md5
Step 3 : Now we will submit CSR certificate on godaddy panel. Click on Set up button after this godaddy will be submit ssl in your account then click on Manage button.
Please refer below screenshot for more understanding.