Before starting with the main article “Key based authentication ssh” let’s understand first what is SSH? and why we need to make authentication key based?
Secure Socket Shell [SSH]
SSH means Secure Socket Shell which is basically used for secure login way to access a remote computer or server. It is a best secure protocol which is used worldwide for login purpose.
You can use SSH in two Way
- With Password Login Access
- Without Password Login Access
Everyone have an idea about “with password login” access which is the primary way to login on the remote server.
In this article, we are going to understand the second way which is far secure and feasible than “With password login”.
The second way is Without Password Login. In without password login or password-less login has one more name ie called “Key Based Authentication SSH”.
Advantages of Key based authentication ssh Login
- More secure option than any other login techniques.
- No need to remember or save the password or maintain password sheet.
- Use for automated login in shell scripts
- Stronger identity checks through private keys
- Secure server with unauthorized access
After understanding the benefits and advantages of Key based authentication ssh.
Let’s start with the implementation process of Key based authentication ssh login.