Before start with the installation of apache solr. Let’s understand the working of apache solr. In this article, I am going to demonstrate the installation and integration part of solr with Magento.
- Apache Solr is an open source application use for the search index.
- Apache Solr is basically working as Full-text Search engine.
- Solr provides the XML interface and JSON API with which search application can be work.
- Solr is written on Java Platform.
- It is very stable and reliable application when you need any application for the search index.
- Apache Solr running on default port 8983.
Apache solr can be used or integrate with multiple platforms like Magento, drupal etc. In this article, we will see the integration of apache solr with Magento platform.
You need to install below packages on the server.
- Apache Solr 3.6.X
- JAVA 7.x or 8
We have using solr 3.6 version. Reason to use this version is because it is a stable solr version and compatible with Magento platform. We are tried using latest version with Magento but it will not compatible with Magento. I have personally recommended you to use Solr version 3.6 series.
I have divided this article into two parts,
Installation of Apache Solr
Step 1: Download Apache Solr
Download the below link on the server under the “/opt/ directory. Download this link using wget command.