You will get an idea about the working of Memcached with his name only.
Memcached is an open source high performance and free caching system or service.
It's helps to cache API calls, database data and pages in RAM to perform application faster.
This cached system works on TCP protocol which means you can able to install it on a separate server and use it on another server which leads to the big hash table to store your data.
One more important thing about Memcached is if your Memcached is running out of space then older data is overwritten or replaced by newer data. It will work as a non-persistent cache.
It will work or runs on default port i.e. 11211
1. It is open source cache system which means its freely available.
2. It will work as cross-platform.
3. It will also handle the sessions.
4. it is a distributed memory system.
1. Data will not be persistent means data will be flush out if you restart the service.
2. It will be using only 1/4 of the size of your RAM memory, so if your size out of space then data is overwritten.
When we use Memcached?
We will use memcached to decrease the load on the database by caching database queries which are most frequently or more user visited.